Jüdischer Friedhof Weissensee(berlin,germany)_nophoto
|January 5, 2013||Posted by WhereTheCemetery under Europe|
|Opening Hours||8am-5pm Sun-Thu Apr-Oct, to 4pm Sun-Thu Nov-Mar, to 3pm Fri year-round|
|Telephone||030 925 3330|
First laid out in 1880, this enormous Jewish cemetery is the final resting place of more than 115,000 people, including such prominent players as the painter Lesser Ury and publisher Samuel Fisher. Bauhaus fans should check out the cubist tomb designed by Walter Gropius for Albert Mendel. For tomb locations consult a chart near the entrance. Also here is a grave containing 90 Torah scrolls that were damaged during the 1938 pogroms. There is also a monument honouring the victims of the Holocaust. The cemetery is near the terminus of bus 200.